03/08/2011

Day 18 - Imperial Palace Gardens and Ueno Redux

Another rubbish weather day, it's still high 20's, I think 28 degrees today, but it was also very wet at times! Dan went to the big Mandarake store in Nakano, whilst I was on a mission consisting of two parts!

I was determined before leaving Japan to see the Imperial Palace Gardens, and today I had the opportunity to do so, Tokyo station isn't too far from Shinagawa, and only took about 5 minutes on the Yamanote line. Downtown Tokyo (Marunouchi) is an interesting area, especially as you get deeper into the Imperial Gardens, it's a very well kept park in the heart of a commercial district, skyscrapers everywhere. 

I spent a few hours walking around the eastern park, I couldn't get a good enough view of the palace, but from what I saw of the gardens, it was worth my time and effort! (It was raining quite hard!) The gardens host various areas and old Edo period buildings like an old barracks and armoury, whilst also showing off the bamboo garden and pond. Left the eastern park to get a closer look at the commercial district and found the Nikkei building, seemed a bit boring today!

I eventually got to Ueno around 2pm, in order to complete task 2 on my mission, I was on the lookout for a new bag, mainly because we've accumulated a lot of tat/crap/presents for people/ourselves (delete where appropriate) and as such our original bags are now full and we and in need of a new bag. To cut a long story short, I walked all the way around Ueno Ameyoko market, before finding a cheapish bag to use to bring our stuff back. (2,000 Yen is reasonable considering all the other places were looking upwards of 9,000 Yen!) Once I picked up the bag I headed back to the museum to check out the science museum I missed from before, was interesting, having the English headset helped quite a lot with the referencing as it was all in Japanese!

No comments:

Post a Comment